And then there were four.
There were 61 other teams who swear they could’ve, should’ve, or would’ve been playing for one more weekend, yet there are plenty of reasons why this particular foursome remains.
North Carolina collapsed. Kansas faltered. Memphis didn’t defend. And Oregon ran out of bullets. They are no longer at the party. For those Elite Eight teams, the dance is over.
But this isn’t about the dearly departed, this is about four schools who are deserving of dancing past midnight.
- NIT semifinals last night.. a pair of close 1-point games. Clemson will face West Virginia in the finals and hope to get one back for the ACC after Georgetown upset UNC. KC Rivers had 19 points for the Tigers..coming off a season-best 29 in the quarterfinals win over Syracuse. Rivers should emerge as a national star next season.
G: Aaron Brooks (Oregon)
G: Acie Law (Texas A&M)
G: Drew Neitzel (Michigan State)
F: Dionte Christmas (Temple)
C: Hebert Hill (Providence)
- Last year’s CHN Most Improved Player was Florida’s Joakim Noah.
- Yesterday's UCLA-Kansas game went just as planned. The Bruins were able to shut down Kansas' offense just like SIU did.. but unlike the Salukis, UCLA had a hot Arron Afflalo coming off two subpar games which enabled them to pull away. The only thing that's gone more according to plan is this tournament in general. I don't see Oregon or Georgetown ending that trend unforutnately..
Best Performance: Tajuan Porter, Oregon
Make all the short jokes you want. Call him things like “diminutive” or “pint-sized” and write stories implying his 5 foot 6 inch, 160 pound (if that) frame is somehow a huge disadvantage.
Just don’t say it to UNLV.
- Lets be honest, you've been disappointed with Greg Oden's play. He's been less future hall of famer.. and more Dikembe Mutombo on an off night..
- Getting Steve Alford (assuming it official happens) is a steal for New Mexico. His 152-106 record might not be overwhelming, but Alford brings a few things to the table that you have to love.
A) Publicity. No one particularly paid any attention to the firing of Ritchie McKay.. and except for some love for Danny Granger, no one has paid any attention to New Mexico the past few years.