Of all the teams you could guess that would hand UNLV their only loss in a 55-game stretch that included the 1990 national title, UCSB likely wouldn't be at the top of the list. But the Gauchos were a more than worthy competitor thanks in large part to Carrick Dehart, who to this day remains one of the best players in school history. During DeHart's time at UCSB the Gauchos made two NCAA Tournament appearances (beating Houston in 1990) and an NIT appearance in between.
Overall Rank: #101
Overall Rank: #118
In the latest installment of his Greatest Coaches interview series CHN writer Jon Teitel spent some time with current Cal-State Fullerton head coach Bob Burton, who has won 123 games and made one trip to the NCAA Tournament since taking the job in 2003. Coach Burton has been a head coach for forty years and shares the honor of being a member of the California Community Colleges Coaches Hall of Fame with the likes of Jerry Tarkanian and Lute Olson. The task for Burton and his staff going into 2010-11 is to replace four starters from last year's team (16-15, 8-8 Big West; t-3rd).
CHN writer Jon Teitel recently spent some time with Cal Poly great Mike Wozniak, catching up with the sharpshooter on both his career at Cal Poly and some of the things on his plate today. Second on his school's all-time scoring list, Wozniak remains the school's all-time leader in three pointers made.
Jon Teitel: You grew up in Texas and Indiana. How did you end up at Cal Poly?
UC Santa Barbara Gauchos
Big West Conference (20-9, 12-4)
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1