I wouldn't say Tuesday was a wacky day of colege basketall.. but it was certainly an odd day. Appalachian State over Virginia is certainly the day's shocker. Virginia was 6-1, including a win over Arizona, heading into the matchup with then 7-3 Appalachian State in Puerto Rico. Perhaps inspired by the football team's good run in the 1-AA Football Tournament.. the Mountaineers basically controlled Virginia from the tip. App State comes out of the game with an 8-3 record.. but don't be deceived, this team hadn't done anything before Tuesday. 3 of their wins were against non-D1 teams and they had losses of 30 against Clemson and 32 against Virginia Tech. This is not just the most shocking win of the day, but arguably the most shocking win of the year. North Dakota State over Marquette got some headlines, but this is twice as surprising.
Its nice to see college athletics programs limiting games played during finals period.. its the only time of the year there's even a fake veil of caring about academics. Not all teams had the day off though..
Hofstra barely escaped with a 67-64 win over lowly Saint Francis (NY). Hofstra's bounced back from a dismal 0-3 start.. but mainly because they've now played 6 bad teams in a row. Wins over Alsaka Anchorage and 0-11 SFNY don't necessarily point to a big Hofstra turnaround as much as a big drop in quality of opponent. Things pick up again for the Pride as they now go on the road to face Syracuse, Saint Joseph's, and UNCW in the next couple of weeks.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1