It’s that time of year again in college basketball – spring – when fans try to predict which underclassmen will declare for the NBA draft as well as determine which players will be selected in the first and second rounds. However, it’s also the time when coaches try to fill in gaps on their rosters for next year from the only viable source still available – junior colleges.
According to CBS Sportsline.com, Arkansas’ search for a new coach has finally come to an end. They are reportedly going to hire South Alabama coach John Pelphrey to replace the fired Stan Heath. A press conference is scheduled for Monday afternoon. Pelphrey led USA to an NCAA Tournament bid two seasons ago and a Sun Belt regular-season title last year. He was an assistant under Billy Donovan at Marshall and Florida before going to the Jaguars. This likely concludes a chaotic Razorbacks coaching search, which included the hiring of Creighton’s Dana Altman, only to have him back out a day later.
OMAHA, Neb. -- Dana Altman, the all-time winningest coach in Creighton basketball history, has accepted the head men¹s basketball coaching job at the University of Arkansas. Altman was introduced at a 5 pm press conference in Fayetteville, Ark., today at Bud Walton Arena.
- Good job by Bill Self clearing his bench in the Jayhawks easy 107-67 win over Niagara. 14 guys got in the game including little used Brennan Brechard (22 minutes in his career) who even got 4 minutes of PT. Nothing like the memory of getting a few minutes run in the Dance.
- Similar bench-clearing for Florida who ended up beating Jackson State by 43. This game was actually neck and neck for about 15 minutes. Jackson State led 26-25 with 6 minutes to go in the first half. It was 87-43 Florida the rest of the way..
Gary Ervin is the SEC Player of the Week.
I'll be honest, I'd never heard of Stephen Curry before this week. The son of former NBA star Dell Curry is a freshman for the Davidson Wildcats. He wasn't even considered the best player on his high school team, but the 6-0 guard came into today's game against Missouri averaging 23 points, 7 boards, and 4 assists per game. In a close loss to the Tigers in Columbia this afternoon, he finished with 16 and 6 assists. Curry's biggest problem is turnovers, as he's more of a combo scoring guard trying to play some point and doing too much with the ball. Still, the baby faced scorer has a great stroke, a knack for getting the ball in the hoop, and the potential to be a major force in the Southern Conference with a little more experience and physical maturity.
Barber & Beverley take Week One honors.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1