- Getting Steve Alford (assuming it official happens) is a steal for New Mexico. His 152-106 record might not be overwhelming, but Alford brings a few things to the table that you have to love.
A) Publicity. No one particularly paid any attention to the firing of Ritchie McKay.. and except for some love for Danny Granger, no one has paid any attention to New Mexico the past few years.
As we enter the final week of the Valley regular season, Southern Illinois controls their own destiny. The Salukis currently sit one game ahead of second place Creighton and if they can beat Indiana State and Evansville this week, which they likely will, SIU will be this year’s Missouri Valley Conference Champions. The Bluejays still have a shot at the title but need SIU to lose twice while they win their final two games. The Jays will likely have to settle for second place but they’ll join the Salukis in the NCAA Tournament as both look to be “locks” at this point.
I already discussed half of Saturday's action in last evening's Dribble.. so check that out if there's something missing below.
Georgia picked up their biggest win in the Dennis Felton era by knocking off #19 Gonzaga. The game was played at a very high tempo.. which ended up being perfect for Georgia's athletes. Levi Stukes led all scorers with 25 and Sundiata Gaines also scored 21 as the 7-1 Bulldogs racked up 96 points. Gonzaga fell to 9-3 despite shooting 59% from the floor. The difference in the game was turnovers, as Georgia forced 21 turnovers while only giving it up 12 times. The only big wins under Dennis Felton have been in SEC play, as Georgia knocked off Kentucky in 04, and Bama last year, but this was probably the best one yet. Perhaps this will knock Gonzaga out of the Top 25.. but they have a chance to make a majro statement this week when they face the #9 Duke Blue Devils.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1