As usual, the 2007-08 college basketball season will kick off with a slate of early season, made for-TV tournaments, and once again one of the best among them will be the EA Sports Maui Invitational.
Five of this year’s eight team field have been to the Final Four in the last four years: Marquette (2003), Duke and Oklahoma State (2004), Illinois (2005) and LSU (2006). Two of them (Duke and Marquette) will begin their new campaign ranked in the Top 10 nationally.
Duke Blue Devils
Overall Rank: #11
This is the first of a new series ranking the Top 25 players from the Major Conferences. After the BCS conferences are through, I'll be moving on to the Top 10 from the 2nd tier leagues.
Up first is the ACC, which is loaded with talent. I've already finished the Big Ten ranking and the disparity between these two leagues is pretty amazing.
Feel free to disagree with my selections.. there's certainly many different ways this ranking could go.
- ACC Top 25 Players -
This is the first of what will be six mini statistical previews of the major conferences. Each one includes projected starting lineups, projected stats for each player, and a short comment.
G Tyrese Rice - 19, 3, 5
G Biko Paris - 6, 2, 4
F Rakim Sanders - 7, 4, 2
F Shamari Spears - 9, 5, 1
C John Oates - 8, 5, 1
6 Tyrelle Blair - 4, 6, 0
This lineup is by no means certain. If Paris doesn't perform, Rice could simply handle point guard duties. Blair also could get the minutes over Oates due to his defensive presence.
Eric Gordon G Indiana
Another NBA draft is in the books, and as usual there was a ton of activity with even more rumors flying around. The biggest surprise of the night is the trades that didn’t go down, as opposed to what actually did transpire. Here are the top shockers from the evening:
Kevin Garnett is still in Minnesota
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1