In the latest installment in his "Forgotten Legends" interview series CHN writer Jon Teitel spent some time with Lester Lyons, who ranks second in East Carolina history with 1,825 points. But Lyons, who scored 27 points in the Pirates' 1993 NCAA Tournament loss to eventual national champion North Carolina, wasn't solely about scoring as he still leads ECU in career steals with 235. Lyons is now the head basketball coach at his high school alma mater in North Carolina.
With Memphis in flux following the departure of John Calipari, this might be the year someone like Tulsa, Houston, or UTEP breaks through. The other contenders better act quickly as Memphis has locked up a monster recruiting class next year..
No football on Wednesday night (Game 1 of the World Series) but there is a game on Tuesday, with East Carolina (4-3, 3-1) hitting the road to take on Memphis (2-5, 1-3) at 8 PM on ESPN2. The Pirates, who are looking to defend their Conference USA title, got off to a slow start this season with losses to West Virginia and North Carolina but they've won three of their last four games.
IRVING, Texas – Regular season champion Memphis will be the No. 1 seed at the 2009 Conference USA Men's Basketball Championship, March 11-14 at FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn. The Tigers, ranked No. 3 in the country, enter the conference tournament as the No.1 seed for the fourth year in a row, owning a record of 28-3 and the nation’s longest winning streak at 22 games.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1