For the first time in the 41-year history of preseason voting, there is a tie for No. 1. Duke, chosen first on 25 of 48 ballots cast, and North Carolina, recipient of 20 picks for the top spot, each finished with 545 points. Media members attending the ACC’s Operation Basketball on Sunday event cast the ballots.
Overall Rank: #26
Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic Coast Conference
The ACC gets the Thursday night stage all to itself again, this time for #14 AP/13 Coaches Georgia Tech (2-0, 1-0 ACC) visiting #20/22 Miami (1-0, 1-0 ACC) in a rematch (7:30 PM on ESPN) of a game that got ugly for the Hurricanes. Paul Johnson's Yellow Jackets rushed for 472 yards in the 41-23 win, and the effort was the best rushing effort against Miami since 1944 (Auburn, 536 yards).
Thursday night delivers an ACC showdown that could very well be repeated in December. Clemson (1-0) visits Atlanta to take on #15 Georgia Tech (1-0) (7:30 PM on ESPN), and it's fitting that a Yellow Jacket team that rarely gets the national spotlight plays on national television...opposite the NFL season opener. Jonathan Dwyer and company made short work of Jacksonville State last Saturday, but they'll face a defense some think may be the best in the ACC. A stat to watch tonight: turnovers, which played a significant role in last year's meeting.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1