In the most recent installment in his "Coaching Greats" interview series CHN writer Jon Teitel spoke with former Jacksonville State head coach Bill Jones. In 24 seasons at the school Jones won 449 games and a Division II national title, and was good enough in slow-pitch softball as a pitcher to become a Hall of Famer in that sport as well.
Jon Teitel: You played basketball at Marshall County High School for legendary coach Tom Richey. What made Richey such a great coach, and what was the most important thing you ever learned from him?
In-season tournaments can be tricky to analyze when the dust settles. Sometimes the winning team can build on the experience and move on to bigger and better things, with last year's Connecticut team (Maui Invitational champs) being a prime example. Others, like Minnesota (last year's Puerto Rico Tip-Off champs) can temporarily hide flaws that get exposed later in the season. Essentially these early season results should be taken with a grain of salt, because while we see flashes of teams in reality it's a small sample size.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1