If you think that the Blue Devils I'm referring to in the title hail from Durham, NC...you're incorrect. These guys are the Central Connecticut State Blue Devils, and they hail from New Britain, aka "hard-hittin' New Britain". Howie Dickenman's bunch, picked by the coaches to finish fourth in the NEC, lead Sacred Heart by one game in the loss column heading into their game at Quinnipiac tonight. Junior guard Tristan Blackwood is the reigning NEC PLayer of the Week after lighting up St. Francis (NY) and Sacred Heart to the tune of 27.5 points, 3 rebounds and 4 assists per game. Blackwood went 14-for-29 from behind the arc in the two games, and a win over the Bobcats would give CCSU even more distance between themselves and the rest of the NEC. And with the higher seeds in the the conference tournament getting home court advantage, any team hoping to get to the NCAA Tournament will have to go through New Britain to do so.
1 - Hofstra, 2 - Marist, 3 - Fordham, 4 - Sacred Heart, 5 - St. John's..
Lots of good tv action last night.. and I'm not talking about UNC's 38 point win over Penn. I like watching Brandan Wright dunk and all.. but this team has gone a month without playing a decent team.. lets get some competition before these games get televised.
The last team to beat UNC was.. Gonzaga, who got spanked at Virginia last night. The 108-87 final score isn't as bad as this game was.. it was 60-26 at half. Sean Singletary had 37 points on 7 threes, and 5 of those threes were in about the first 8 minutes of play. This game was done early. The Zags have lost 4 straight, 5 of 6, and are now 9-6. At least conference play starts, and the brutal string of non-conference foes ends. The last 7 games include Duke, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Washington State, Nevada, and Georgia.. and only one of those games was in Spokane.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1