When compared to Thursday's slate the four matchups on Friday may leave a little to be desired for the casual fan, with a double-digit seed playing in three of the four games. The lone exception is Kentucky/Indiana, who staged a classic back in December. Here are some thoughts on the four games to be played in Atlanta and St. Louis.
South Region (Atlanta)
(1) North Carolina vs. (13) Ohio: Midwest Region
In the latest installment in his "Forgotten Legends" interview series CHN writer Jon Teitel spent some time with Ohio University great Gary Trent. The "Shaq of the MAC", Trent remains in the Top 5 in four major statistical categories at the school and he was also a three-time MAC Player of the Year.
Jon Teitel: Your nickname was "Shaq of the MAC". Who gave it to you, and how did you like it?
The top 10 performances of the 2nd Round. No more intro is needed:
1 Brady Heslip, Baylor - 27 pts, 4 rbs, 9-12 from three. Against a Colorado team that had been winning with defense, Heslip exploded with 9 threes.
(12) South Florida vs. (13) Ohio: Midwest Region
After an "opening" day that went mostly according to form, the hope of many is that Friday's slate provides some upsets. And with some of the matchups providing a nice contrast in styles as well as talented players on mid-major squads who may not be household names just yet, there's a good chance that an upset does happen. Here's the schedule for today along with a game from each site that you should keep track of.
Columbus: (8) Memphis vs. (9) Saint Louis
6:50 PM EST, TBS
(4) Michigan vs. (13) Ohio: Midwest Region
Top 10 Most Likely Upsets
March is no time to play it safe. When you fill in your brackets over the next few days, here are the 10 most likely First Round upsets to focus on:
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1