Unlike the NBA, where most starting lineups are set in stone weeks before the
season, NCAA starting fives are highly unsettled and constantly in flux. Going
through the BCS leagues this week, I'll be projecting the starting fives for
each team. Also included is the team's most important bench option, and some
notes on other possible lineups.
Early October usually means one thing to fans of the Texas Longhorns (5-0, 1-0 Big 12) and Oklahoma Sooners (5-0, 1-0): the Red River Rivalry in the Cotton Bowl. The stadium is split in half - at the 50-yard line - and the two bitter rivals rush onto the field out of the same tunnel. It's makes for interesting theater, with Bevo and the Sooner Schooner sprinting out...and that's before kickoff. In recent years, the winner of this game has protected the football and received the additional reward of pole position in the Big 12 South race.
As voted on by Big 12 Coaches:
2008-09 BIG 12 PRESEASON POLL
Duke or Carolina? BC or UMASS? Gonzaga or Washington.. or Washington State? What is the best program in each state? While there's not much competition in Hawaii.. there are great debates to be had in loaded regions like California, North Carolina, and Texas. The State of '08 is a ranking of every program in every state..
"Nike did a great job working with us to come up with a look unique to OU," said Sooners head coach Jeff Capel. "We wanted to create our own state-of-the-art look while preserving a classic feel, and I think we accomplished that. Our players really seem to like the new design."
Picture of the Day
Cheerleader of the Day
NEW YORK - The 16-team field for the 2008 Dick's Sporting Goods NIT Season Tip-Off Tournament was announced today by C.M. Newton, chair of the NIT Selection Committee.
"Once again, the NIT Season Tip-Off Tournament features an outstanding field and we look forward to another exciting start to college basketball," commented Newton.
The 2008 NIT Season Tip-Off teams and brackets are as follows:
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1