Three Stars of The Day
Continuing a new daily feature on Collegehoops.net, the Three Stars of the day. We handpick the best performances of the day, whether it be stat lines that make you drool, or clutch performances. Either way, its our way of showing the love:
Oklahoma State Cowboys
These guys might not be the stars of their teams.. but players like Tyrese Rice, JamesOn Curry, and Martin Zeno put up numbers with the best of them.
Ohio State's won 12 in a row, but are they really getting better? I envisioned them not only being a grind-it-out, half-court team that beats you 65 to 55.. but also a team that if they were hot offensively would beat you 85 to 55. Oden's quietly putting up 16, 10, and almost 4 blocks per game.. but no one's been exceptional on offense. Luckily no team in the Big Ten can really score the ball this year, so it will be interesting to see how they fare against good teams that push the tempo in March.
Oklahoma State's tumble continues (5 of 6 losses).. getting rocked at home by Texas A&M last night. Its too early to say the Cowboys are done, because they have winnable games left (at Texas Tech, vs Kansas State, at Baylor, at Nebraska).. but they need to get a move on. If they win those 4 and end up 23-8 and 9-7 in the Big 12.. they'll be in the Dance.
I'm writing today's Dribble in the middle of what has already been a rather exciting day.
#1 Florida fell earlier to unranked Vanderbilt. A week or so back I wrote a Dribble about how the top 10 teams would fare the rest of the season. I predicted the Gators would fall at either LSU or Tennessee, but they'd easily get by the Dores. Well, I was completely wrong on that one. Vandy's two stars, Shan Foster and Derrick Byars, each brought their A games against last year's champions. The two combined for 48 points on 20 of 35 shooting. Vandy was 35th in the AP voting last week and should move up substantially after the big win.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1