ST. LOUIS -- For the fourth-straight year, the State Farm MVC Tournament will have a different top seed. Northern Iowa, which shared the regular-season title with Creighton, earned the No. 1 MVC Tournament seed for the first time in school history. The Panthers, picked sixth in the league's pre-season poll, finished with a regular-season record of 20-10 and 14-4 in league play, and held the tiebreaker over co-champion Creighton (25-6, 14-4).
Creighton, which won its ninth straight games, improved to 24-6 and 13-4 in the MVC. Missouri State dropped to 11-18 and 3-14 MVC while losing its first Senior Day in 20 years.
A rundown of some of today's coaching news:
- UAPB head coach Van Holt resigned after six seasons at the helm. The Golden Lions finished 13-18 this year, and Holt's overall record was 50-124. This record might not look good but consider that UAPB was 4-51 in the two seasons before Holt took over.
- Besides the firing of Barry Hinson and Tim Welsh over the weekend, other relatively prominent firings in recent days include Toledo's Stan Joplin (just one season removed from being MAC Coach of the Year) and TCU's Neil Dougherty.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1