PHILADELPHIA - Defending Atlantic 10 Conference champion Temple opens its 2008-09 men's basketball season at the Charleston Classic on November 14. The slate is highlighted by a home game against nationally-prominent Tennessee and a trip to defending NCAA Champion Kansas.
PHILADELPHIA - Temple University men's basketball standout Mark Tyndale has signed a professional basketball contract with the Adelaide 36ers of the Australian National Basketball League (NBL). He will leave for Australia next week.
"This is a great opportunity," Tyndale said. "Adelaide made me a generous offer and (former Temple star) Rick Brunson said it is a really good league to play in."
A quick review of the morning action on Day One of the NCAA Tournament:
(3) Xavier 73 - (14) Georgia 61
Josh Duncan, one of the most efficient players in college basketball, finished with 20 points as the Musketeers rebounded from a slow start to beat Georgia. Coming off their miraculous SEC Tournament win, Georgia looked to have the magic early before running out of gas down the stretch. Everybody who picked Xavier to go the Sweet Sixteen or beyond took a big sigh of relief.. and now XU plays the winner of Baylor/Purdue.
Some thoughts on an exciting Championship Week Saturday.. with an eye on the Big Dance:
- Tulsa learned in a big way this morning that Memphis owns the CUSA. Having won 10 of 13 games, and with 20 overall, the Golden Hurricanes are hoping they've done enough to impress the NIT selection committee. Regardless, the emergence of 7-0 big man Jerome Jordan is a great sign for the future.
21-12 (11-5 Atlantic 10)
Computer numbers (through Friday courtesy of kenpom.com): RPI 56, SOS 49
Result today: Defeated St. Joseph's 69-64 to win the Atlantic 10 Championship.
Atlantic 10 (21-12, 11-5)
Big Wins: 1/16 Xavier (78-59), 2/10 Massachusetts (80-70), 3/2 at St. Joseph’s (57-56)
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1