The big focus this weekend is on college football for many sports fans, with conference and national title implications hinging on a number of rivalry games.
But don't forget about hoops either. Here are a few games to keep an eye on while you're digging through those leftovers.
7:30 p.m. Pittsburgh vs. Washington State HDNET
In a potential bracketbuster, St. Mary's (3-0) takes on UTEP (2-1). While this is a pre-season tournament game, it is played in Anaheim, which should give the Gaels a distinct home court advantage. Both of these teams have been impressive so far. Although St. Mary's has yet to play an opponent of UTEP's caliber, no one has even come close to knocking them off. They are led by Patrick Mills. Mills, the only college player to represent his country in Beijing, is one of the best point guards in the nation.
EL PASO, TEXAS - Don Haskins, one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history, passed away on Sunday. He was 78.
Haskins died at his home, surrounded by friends and family, at 4:30 p.m. MDT. A public memorial is tentatively planned for later in the week, with arrangements pending.
The NBA Draft is finally behind us, where half of this year’s top dozen picks were freshmen. 2008 looks to be no different, with the likes of one-and-doners Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo and Michael Beasley in all likelihood hearing their names called early.
But of course, not all incoming freshmen are already fielding calls from would-be agents. In fact, not every member of the stellar Class of 2007 is even going to the so-called “Big Six” power conferences. Many are going to be thrilling fans at the mid-major level as well.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1