PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Jerome Jordan, Tulsa
Junior, C, Kingston, Jamaica
Ben Woodside - North Dakota State
2 Games: 45.5 ppg, 5 rpg, 9 apg, 1 spg
The second week of December is normally a fairly slow week in the college basketball world. Colleges and universities around the country are ending their semesters and final exams are being taken by the student-athletes. After several weeks of tournaments and big-time match-ups, though, it was a nice change of pace for those who needed to catch their breath and/or get some holiday shopping done.
Thanksgiving week is always a hotbed
for college basketball -- holiday tournaments and invitationals are a nice
reprise for people who don't want to watch riveting NFL blowouts on Thanksgiving
or overhyped college football games on Saturday. Plus, there's really nothing
better than eating leftovers, laying on the couch and watching some college
hoops. As a result of all the top-notch match-ups, there were plenty of
outstanding individual performances this week.
As a companion to CHN's National Player of the Week, we will be presenting a Mid-Major Player of the Week as well this season. All non-BCS players are eligible for this award. In the case that the National POY is a non-BCS player, they will be repeated here as well.
Ahmad Nivins - Saint Joseph's
3 Games: 16 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 3 bpg
Despite the lack of true opening day like many of the other major sports, college basketball did not enter without a bang this season. Most of the marquee teams and players were on center stage throughout the week, and ESPN's 24-hour marathon of college basketball really got people excited for the season - even though the real season began two weeks ago, on December 10 (Duke vs. Presbyterian? Houston vs. Georgia Southern? Really?).
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Blake Griffin, Oklahoma, F, So., 6-10, 251, Oklahoma City, Okla./Oklahoma Christian School
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1