- NIT semifinals last night.. a pair of close 1-point games. Clemson will face West Virginia in the finals and hope to get one back for the ACC after Georgetown upset UNC. KC Rivers had 19 points for the Tigers..coming off a season-best 29 in the quarterfinals win over Syracuse. Rivers should emerge as a national star next season.
- Thinking of UNC-Georgetown again.. man was that an epic collapse or what? Unbelievable. My arch-nemesis Billy Packer rightfully brought up how the Tar Heels looked demoralized late in the first half (even when they still had the lead).. and that carried to the end of overtime.
- Most Georgetown fans expect Roy Hibbert to return next season.. but 5 double-doubles extended from the conference championship into the Final Four aren't helping the cause. Neither are the 6 blocks against North Carolina.
- What's with teams contacting Bruce Pearl? Why would he leave a program building so much positive momentum?
- Who ever steps into the Arkansas job lucks into an automatic NCAA Tournament bid. Say what you want about Stan Heath (and a lot of Arkansas fans wanted him gone), but he left the Razorbacks in a good spot. There's not one senior on the team.. and the point guard position is owned by one of the most underrated freshmen in the country, Patrick Beverley. The negative is that the incoming class for next year is pretty much empty.
- A lot of eyes will be looking at Minnesota, looking how long it will take Tubby to turn around the program. The Gophers haven't recruited a 4-star recruit since Kris Humphries back in 2003.. though that should change. Ont guy to look out for, even though he's not even a Rivals Top 150 guy.. is shooting guard Blake Hoffarber. The 6-4 shooting guard can light it up, and could emerge as a key in cog in Smith's turnaround machine.
- This happened a few days ago, but tough blow for North Dakota State losing Tim Miles to Colorado State. His success the past two years with the Bison is pretty darn impressive. Moving up to D1 as an independent and winning 16 games last year (including the win at Wisconsin that got national press).. and then going 20-8 this year (beating Marquette along the way). The success is even more impressive when you realize that there was only one upperclassmen on the squad (scoring leader Andre Smith). NDSU is moving to the Mid-Con.. and with Miles they could have already been a major contender.
- I find it hard to believe Billy Donovan has any interest in Kentucky.. beyond simply using that opening to boost his current contract with the Gators. Its obvious he can win at Florida, and this shouldn't change any time soon with two Top 25 prospects coming in (Nick Calathes and Chandler Parsons) along with two other 4-star guys in Alex Tyus and Adam Allen. Tyus by the way, who might not be quite as big a name as the big two, is an absolute monster on the inside.
- If you're looking for the next big non-BCS star.. Herb Pope will be your guy. The 6-8 New Mexico State recruit is an NBA talent.
- Not sold on Josh McRoberts as an NBA Lottery pick. McRoberts final numbers, 13 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 3.5 apg, and 2.5 bpg look pretty good, especially the passing and block numbers. Compare those to potential Top 5 pick Joakim Noah: 12.2 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.3 apg, and 1.8 bpg. McRoberts basically has Noah across the board.. but that's until minutes played comes into play. McRoberts played a whopping 35.3 minutes per game, while Noah only played 25.8. Multiply McRoberts numbers times .73 (the % minutes Noah played) and you get a more comparable 9.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.5 apg and 1.8 bpg.