Daily Dribble: Friday Rewind
1. A week before playing in-state rival Wisconsin, Marquette blew away in-city rival UW-Milwaukee last night, 100-65. UWM is now 0-36 all-time against their Beer City brothers.
2. Oregon State/Iowa State is about as unsexy a BCS basketball matchup you can find.. maybe Northwestern/South Florida would be worse. At least the game was exciting, with Iowa State getting the OT win.
3. Duquense is quietly off to a solid 6-0 start after easing by CS Northridge last night. Transfers Shawn James and Kojo Mensah have been as good as advertised, leading the way with 35 points combined last night.
4. Baylor almost got a huge win last night, taking #6 Washington State down to the wire. Either way, the Bears are off to a solid start with wins against Notre Dame, Winthrop, and Wichita state already. They do still seem to lack that killer player than can push them into the Top 25.
5. Pepperdine and UTPA played a high-scoring, close game last night with the Wave winning 86-84. The game was played in Bozeman, MT. How does Montana State actually get people to come play there?
6. Florida blew away Vermont last night, but who knows what to make of the Gators. They lost to the only decent team they've played, FSU, by 15, but killed 7 lesser opponents. Their next 4 games should be pushovers as well, although Georgia Southern on 12/19 isn't half bad. Either way, they'll probably end up 11-1, and yet no one will know if they're any good.
7. Iowa transfer Tyler Smith seems to be fitting in well at Tennessee. He's avergaing 13 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists.. shooting 62% from the floor, and doing all that in just 23 mpg.
8. I always enjoy when D1 teams lose to non-D1 teams.. and the small guys got a minor victory last night as Colorado-Colorado Springs beat Southern Utah. West New Mexico was also just a basket away from beating North Texas last night.
9. San Jose State's been a down program for years, but give them credit for a solid 3-1 start.. all on the road. The Spartans didn't win their 3rd game on until February last year, and only ended up with 5 on the year.
10. There's a great schedule today of games, but unfortunately there's still boring football overloading the airwaves.