Daily Dribble: Monday Rewind in 10
A little bit delayed with the Rewind today.. had a little engagement in beautiful Trenton, NJ. I was sworn into the New Jersey Bar this morning (yes, they let me in somehow..), but I'm back at the trusty keyboard this afternoon. Nothing too exciting last night.. as the real action is today.. UNC, Memphis, USC, Kansas State all in action and all on national cable. Nonetheless, here is a shortened review of last night in 10:
1. Eric Gordon, newly christened as the top rookie in the Freshman 10, injured his back last night in Indiana's victory over Tennessee State. DJ White shined in his absence, scoring 29 points.. the first time he's broken the 20 point mark since February last year.
2. I thought Missouri State at Arkansas would be a good game on Monday.. but the Razorbacks spanked the Bears by 19. This was a disappointing result for MSU, and pretty much relegates them to the NIT at best. Oddly enough, Arkansas won without any of its starters scoring in double-digits.
3. Life post-Stuckey for EWU should be pretty uneventful, but the Eagles did pick up their 3rd win of the season at UMKC. Things get a bit stickier on Wednesday, as they take a road trip to Kansas.. inevitably to be smacked around.
4. Remember Tubby Smith? The guy who used to coach at Kentucky? His Gophers are 5-1, and will continue to play cupcackes for the next few weeks. They could easily be 10-1 heading into UNLV on December 30th, and they could easily be quite bad at that point still.
5. The Gophers got that 5th win against North Dakota State last night. The Bison got some national pub when they upset Marquette last year. Things aren't going as well in 07-08, just 2-4 against D1 competition.
6. I mentioned this on the message board, but how in the world was Wofford at Wisconsin televised on ESPN2? The Badgers won by 27, in a game that had no business even being on ESPNU6. There's thousands of great college basketball games.. its not hard to do better than this.
7. You may remember when Mercer upset USC to open the season? The Bears proceeded to lose their next five games before finally beating Charleston Southern last night.
8. Relating to Mercer.. Mike Mercer, formerly of the Georgia Bulldogs, is transferring to South Florida.
9. And relating to Georgia, the Bulldogs avoided disaster last night.. almost losing to DII Augusta State. In fact, the Jaguars were up by 4 with just 4 minutes to go. Don't be fooled by Georgia's 5-1 record.. they're not good.
10. I keep pulling for 0-9 NJIT to get a win, but they got blown out 81-56 by Lafayette last night. I hate to bring it up again, but the Highlanders have lost by at least 20 in 8 of 9 games. They host Army on Thursday, perhaps a chance for their elusive first win..