Daily Dribble: Replay in 15
As always, the concept is simple. A recap of yesterday's action in 15 quick bullet-points. We begin:
1. Hope everyone loaded up on tryptophan yesterday.. its good for the health.. or something.
2. If you take Michael Beasley away from Kansas State, they look like Kansas Wesleyan.. or worse.
3. Everyone knew South Carolina would rely upon their transfer. But last night, the Gamecocks were basically a two man (see below) team with Downey and Frederick scoring over 60% of their points.
4. Kudos do have to go out to freshman Mike Holmes who really made it a three-man team against Penn State. The Bishopville, SC product is averaging 10 and 6 per game so far.
5. Jamont Gordon, considered by some to be the best point guard in the country, has 16 assists to a whopping 15 turnovers in 4 games. He'll need to take care of the ball against SIU's quality defense tonight.
6. Even though its early, NC State's looked more like the mediocre team that started last year 15-14.
7. The Wolfpack are proving what everyone knows about college basketball, its hard to be great without a great point guard.
8. Corey Stokes hasn't done much for Villanova yet, but fellow freshman Corey Fisher came through with a big 18 point, 4 assist effort against UCF.
9. I'm still not sure what to make of George Mason. They could end up beating two Top 25 this week if they get past Villanova tonight, but both the Wildcats (VU and K-State) might end up being bubble teams at best.
10. Gonzaga struggled to put away a pesky Western Kentucky team 74-71. Without Heytvelt, they look more like a team ranked 30th instead of #14.
11. It hasn't been the best start for the MVC, so an SIU win over Mississippi State tonight is key to keeping the respect level ip.
12. Without Tatum, the Salukis will ask more out of Bryan Mullins on the offensive end. Even though its only been 2 games and just 13 shots, the fact he's hit 9 of those shots is a great sign for a guy who couldn't much of anything his first two years.
13. Rider's Jason Thompson, who had 24 and 15 last night, will be MAAC Player of the Year without a doubt.
14. There were only 9 games last night, so there's really nothing worthwhile left to fill 15 bullet points.
15. Instead, I'm going to watch the aforementioned Thompson play Penn State on the Deuce right now.