Daily Dribble: Tuesday Night Rewind
Back with my first daily recap in a couple days. There were 14 games last night, so here are 14 nuggets (1 from each game) to chew on.
1. Coming off a disappointing loss to Michigan State, Bradley rebounded for an important win at Wright State. In what was the game of the night, the Braves won in OT despite off-games from leaders Jeremy Crouch and Daniel Ruffin. Continuing their tour of the Horizon League, BU heads to #19 Butler next.
2. Louisiana-Lafayette is 1-5 after dropping a road game at Central Florida. This is the third year in a row the Cajuns have started 1-5.. not the type of consistency you want.
3. Not too many Chinese ballplayers in college basketball, but Shang Ping, who scored 11 for Nebraska in a blowout over Savannah State, is quietly plying his trade.
4. Tough start for Louisiana Tech head coach Kerry Rupp. The Bulldogs are 1-5 including home losses to powerhouses like SEMO and UAPB.
5. NMSU destroyed Prairie View A&M. Sort of related, check out Jason Tomassini’s article on the whereabouts of Herb Pope.
6. Saint Mary’s quick run as a Top 25 probably comes to an end following last night’s loss at SIU.
7. Even though they lost to CCSU last night, UMBC’s 7-3 start is impressive. The Retrievers were 200+ in RPI last year, but are 89th right now.
8. Who is Ben Glowiak? I don’t know. But the senior was 5 of 5 from three in Hartford’s 67-53 win over Monmouth. (He would have to go 2 of his next 40 from downtown to match Ohio State’s Jon Diebler.)(I can’t help but rip on Diebler for some reason.)
9. Maarty Leunen is quietly becoming a double-double machine for the Oregon Ducks. He had 23 and 11 last night against Sacramento State, his 6th double-double in 9 games
10. Oregon State blew away CS Bakersfield last night. The Roadrunners haven’t really come close in their 8 losses, which makes their lone win over Fresno that much more surprising.
11. Valparaiso is winning games left and right, with just a lone loss to unbeaten Vanderbilt. This is the Crusaders best start since 01-02, when they started 9-3 on the way to a 24 win, NCAA Tournament season.
12. BU’s Corey Lowe is on a tear right now. The sophomore has hit 17 threes in the last 3 games, and is averaging 27 ppg over that stretch.
13. Nicholls State improved to 3-7 with a win over ULM last night and.. I don’t know, I’m going on fumes here.
14. Lastly, 2-9 UMES beat 2-7 Kennesaw State last night and.. aw hell, it doesn’t matter.
As an aside.. coaches like Bobby Petrino leaving teams in mid-season: weak. The fact that my beloved Nets haven’t fired Lawrence Franks mid-season: weaker.