by Toney Blare
– Tonight is “Nola Night.” Lang favorite Trombone Shorty is on the stage outside the main gate. Speaking of Nola, I dj’d a street festival on Saturday. One of the acts covered “Family Affair.” And y’know the part where Sly sings, “One child grows up to be someone that just loves to learn/Another child grows up to be someone we just love to burn?” Yeah, well, that became “One child grows up to be…Trombone Shorty/Another child grows up to be…Ray Nagin.” Word.
Photo by Atiba Jefferson
Originally published in SLAM 84
by Chris O’Leary
It’s the dream that everyone has had at some point in their sneaker-loving lives. Whether it’s in admiration of a something that makes the leap from footwear to art, or if it’s scowl-inducing disgust at something that actually made it out of the planning stages, we’ve all wanted to be a sneaker designer. If you’re a high school student with the dream, Jordan Brand has opened up a window for you.
Sorry Illinois fans, at least the winters will be nicer for MJ Jr. at UCF: “He made his decision based on two criteria,” said Tyrone Slaughter, Jordan’s coach at Whitney Young High in the Chicago area. “One was the ability to go in and make an immediate impact. He wanted to go in and have an opportunity to play right away at the collegiate level.
by Ryne Nelson
Strictly looking at individual bodies of work this season, Will Bynum has been the Pistons’ second-best guard. It took a Rip Hamilton ejection and an injury to Allen Iverson, but when Bynum got on the court against the Bobcats, he showed just how valuable he’s been.
Then again, everyone looks good when you score 81 points by halftime. From the Morning News blog: “He’s playing with a lot of emotion. A little too much emotion after what he thought should have been an and one, getting T’d up for showing up the ref. But you can’t complain about Josh Howard’s game today.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1