The McDonald’s All-American game is a terrific event on a lot of levels, but almost annually, it misses one or two kids who, by any reasonable measure, should absolutely be included among the 24 best high school players in the nation. Sometimes politics is involved; other times, the McD’s committee’s illogical insistence on not allowing “fifth-year” players is the cause.
Photo by Atiba Jefferson
Originally published in SLAM 100
Ryan Jones wrote it best, so let me steal from him: “It isn’t accurate to say that SLAM exists because of Michael Jordan. But it is fair to say we probably wouldn’t be here without him.” Thanks Michael. —Tzvi Twersky
by Lang Whitaker
First of all, I need to say a brief word to our friends here at KING magazine. You may or may not have heard that KING magazine ceased to exist yesterday, yet another in a seemingly endless list of publications hit hard by the current economy (or lack of an economy). Regardless of what you may have felt about the content in KING, it always sucks to see a lot of good people suddenly out of work. Hang in there, KING folk.
The Cavs just launched a LeBron-4-MVP website: LeBronisReallyReallyReallyReallyReallyReallyGood.com. Six “Really’s” total — One for each of LeBron’s NBA seasons. Check it out to see LeBron’s MVP profile (and to listen to some electronic funk).
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1