LEXINGTON, Ky. - University of Kentucky All-American Jodie Meeks will forego his senior season and keep his name in this year's NBA Draft.
Meeks, a 6-4 guard, will be the first Wildcat underclassmen since Randolph Morris and Rajon Rondo in 2006 to enter the NBA Draft.
Meeks, a 6-4 guard, led the SEC and ranked eighth in the country in scoring, averaging 23.7 ppg. He set the school record for points in a game (54 at Tennessee) and three-pointers in a season, (117) while also shooting an SEC best 90.2 percent from the free throw line.
But there's one thing Gillispie can't sell me on - even with that power tie, firm handshake and Cheshire cat grin.
"This is Kentucky, not Jodie Meeks. This is not a one-man team."
With other sports mercifully coming to an end, basketball is now taking its rightful place atop the sports landscape. Thanks to this week's Player of the Week, the national media had reason to give college hoops a serious look.
Clip of the Day
Thanks to the genius of YouTube, the world has access to thousands of great college basketball videos to keep us busy every second of every day. We'll be featuring daily movies to whet your college basketball appetite. Even if you've seen them before, some clips are just too good not to watch again and again.
It’s no secret that Jodie Meeks has been having a breakout year. Kentucky’s junior shooting guard was averaging 24. 2 points per game entering Tuesday night’s showdown against SEC favorite Tennessee, and was fifth in the country in scoring. With a number of long, rangy, athletic wingmen, the Vols figured to give Meeks some trouble in getting his shot off.
I was going to start this column with some kind of witty, creative statement...something along the lines of Jodie Meeks certainly isn't meek, or Meeks is making opponents weak... something like that.
But to get too wordy or creative might have taken away from what the main focus is...namely that Jodie Meeks is pretty freakin' good.
Meeks broke a bunch of UK records in his 46 point outburst this weekend.. some notes from UK Media Relations:
- Meeks recorded career highs in points (46), field goals (14), three-point field goals (9), three-point field goals attempted (14) and tied a season high in steals (4) leading Kentucky to a 93-69 win over Appalachian State in Louisville
- Meeks' 46 points were the most ever scored by a Wildcat in Freedom Hall, which spans 73 games and over 30 years and the sixth most scored in a game by a Wildcat
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1