Los Angeles Clippers: NBA Draft Team Needs
2007-08 Record: 23-59; 5th Pacific
Draft Picks: 7, 35
Key Free Agents
G Shaun Livingston (restricted)
C Paul Davis (restricted)
G Smush Parker (player option)
How they got here and what they need
Two serious injuries essentially derailed the Clippers' season before it even began. First there was Shaun Livingston's horrific knee injury during the 2006-07 season, which put him on the sidelines for all of 2007-08. Following that in the offseason was the ruptured Achilles suffered by cornerstone Elton Brand. While Brand was able to make it back for the end of the season, the hole they dug themselves was much too deep to crawl out of. Now with Sam Cassell gone, do the Clippers move Brand and/or Corey Maggette, or do they hold onto them both in attempt to make one more run at a playoff berth?
The point is a position that they need to address this offseason, either by way of the draft or free agency, but they also need another perimeter scorer. Last season it was essentially Maggette and Cuttino Mobley supplying the points, so there's a definite need for help. Look for the scoring issue to be addressed at some point in the draft, most likely with their seventh pick.
Who they take
Some people in Los Angeles may be clamoring for Kevin Love if he's on the board, but I think that Indiana's Eric Gordon would be a better option. Look for Gordon to have a green light coming off the bench next season as well.
Draft History (since 2000)
- - 2000: Darius Miles (3rd), Quentin Richardson (18th), Marco Jaric (30th)
- - 2001: Tyson Chandler (2nd)
- - 2002: Chris Wilcox (8th), Melvin Ely (12th), Mario Kasun (41st)
- - 2003: Chris Kaman (6th), Sofoklis Schortsenitis (34th)
- - 2004: Shaun Livingston (4th), Lionel Chalmers (34th)
- - 2005: Yaroslav Korolev (12th), Daniel Ewing (32nd)
- - 2006: Paul Davis (34th), Guillermo Diaz (52nd)
- - 2007: Al Thornton (12th), Jared Jordan (45th)