Ranking the 8 Ivy League coaches is no easy task: One of them has never been a head coach before, two others coached their 1st Ivy games last year, and none have served a full decade as an Ivy head coach. As we get ready for another college basketball season, here is a look at who is doing the best job of keeping up with the Joneses...literally.
1. Glen Miller - Penn
(223-184 record in 17 years as head coach at Connecticut College/Brown/Penn)
Take a wild guess who is ranked as the top coach in the Pac 10? You got it, that guy.
It doesn't appear that too many Big Ten teams are going to light the college hoops world on fire this season. However, more than likely this will only be a temporary slump. With the level of coaching talent roaming the sidelines in the league, its teams are sure to be competing for national championships again sooner rather than later.
1) Tom Izzo - Michigan State
Continuing this week's Coach Ranking series: The Big 12
#1) Bill Self, Kansas
The 2008-09 Big East season should bring as much excitement as any. Commonly regarded as the toughest conference in college basketball, it has the potential to put 9+ teams into the NCAA tournament come March.
At the backbone of a great team comes a great coach, and the Big East has plenty of great coaches. But which coaches are the best? Let's just say that a well-padded résumé is not enough to give a coach top honors in this conference.
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - University of Texas head men's basketball coach Rick Barnes will receive the John R. Wooden Award's "Legends of Coaching" honor this year, Award Chairman Duke Llewellyn announced Wednesday. Barnes will be honored along with the 2009 Men's and Women's Wooden Award winners and the Wooden Award All-American teams at the Los Angeles Athletic Club in April of 2009.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1