WSU Gets Back on Track at Creighton

January 16th, 2007

Wichita, Kan. – Kyle Wilson had a career-high with 25 points, leading Wichita State to a 62-59 victory over visiting Creighton in MVC action on Monday night. The win improves the Shockers to 12-6 (3-4 MVC), while Creighton fell to 11-6 (5-2 MVC) with the setback.

Wilson carried the Shockers in the first half. He made eight of his first 10 shots and had 18 points in the opening 20 minutes. Despite his effort, the Shockers could only muster a 32-30 halftime lead. It looked like CU would trail by four at the break, but a palming violation by WSU gave the ball back to the Jays, and Nate Funk weaved through the defense for a lay-up at the buzzer.

After a Nick Porter lay-in tied the score at 32 on CU’s first possession of the second half, the Shocker shooters heated up. Sean Ogirri drained consecutive three-pointers from the corner to give the hosts a 38-32 lead and prompt a Bluejay timeout. The Jays would turn it over on three consecutive possessions, and WSU took its largest lead at 40-32 after a coast-to-coast lay-in by PJ Couisnard.

The Bluejays would claw back to within 50-49, only to see the Shockers break away again. The Shockers blocked a shot an Ogirri hit a runner in transition. Next trip down, Wilson buried a wide-open trey, pushing WSU’s lead to 55-49 at the 6:35 mark.

Creighton clawed back within one at 55-54 and had a chance for the lead, but Funk’s runner rimmed out. After trading baskets, CU was down 57-56 but Ogirri picked Porter’s drive and dish and attempt. WSU reserve Phillip Thomasson drained two free throws at the 1:03 mark to give the Shockers a three-point edge.

CU then worked it inside to Watts, who missed a reverse lay-up but was fouled on the rebound. After one more WSU foul, Watts would miss a three-pointer that could’ve tied it. On WSU’s subsequent possession Matt Braeuer split two shots at the line to push their lead to 60-56 with 31.1 seconds left.

On the Jays next trip, Funk was fouled while shooting a trey with 20.2 seconds left. He missed the first from the line, snapping a streak of 27 consecutive makes. After hitting the second to draw within two, Funk missed the third and Ogirri grabbed the rebound and was fouled. Ogirri missed and the front end of a 1-and-1, and Funk pushed it upcourt and hit a bucket with 11 seconds left, trimming WSU’s lead to 60-59.

Wilson made two at the line with 7.4 seconds left to give WSU a three-point lead. CU inbounded the ball and Funk rose up from 25 feet, but his try from the right wing was blocked by Couisnard.

Funk led Creighton with 16 points, while Nick Porter had 15 points. Also in double-figures was Dane Watts, who had a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. CU shot 42.6 percent for the game while hitting 9-of-25 (36 percent) from three-point range.

WSU was paced by 25 points from Wilson, while Ogirri had 12 of his 15 points in the second half. WSU shot an even 50 percent for the game, hitting 22-of-44 shots from the field. Couisnard had just four points, but did have five assists, three blocks and three steals.

Creighton returns to action on Thursday night with a 7:05 pm game at Bradley. The game will be televised on NET1 and can also be heard on Big Sports 590 AM.

- Creighton Sports Info -