La Salle's Aaric Murray didn't start playing basketball until he was 16. Four years later, he can't wait to make the big NBA money. But the talented but raw 6-10 forward can't afford to get ahead of himself as La Salle continues to lag behind in the Atlantic 10.
Weekly Honors (announced on Monday)
Choice Hotels Co-Players of the Week: F Kelly Beidler (Mount St. Mary's) and G James Johnson (Quinnipiac)
Beidler averaged 15.5 points, 10.0 rebounds and 2.5 rebounds in wins over Monmouth and FDU last week, helping the Mountaineers move their win streak to six games. Johnson averaged 20 ppg last week as the Bobcats locked up at least one NEC Tournament home game with wins over SFNY and LIU.
America East: Stony Brook senior Muhammad El-Amin was named Player of the Week thanks to averages of 27.5 points and 4.5 rebounds per game in two wins for the Seawolves.
Maryland Terrapins (17-7overall, 7-3ACC)
North Carolina St. Wolfpack (14-12overall, 2-9 ACC)
2/17/10 9PM RBC Center, Raleigh. NC
Leading scorer: MD: Greivis Vasquez 18.0ppg NCST: Tracy Smith 17.5ppg
PF: MD: 79.4. NCST: 69.0 PA: MD: 65.5. NCST: 66.0
Last game: MD: def UVA 85-66. NCST: lost to UNC 74-61
Maryland is 5-3 on the road, NCST is 8-6 at home.
Tonight's game between Saint Peter's and Loyola has been postponed due to the snowstorm that hit the Mid-Atlantic this week. The game has been rescheduled for February 17th at 7 PM.
Game of the Night: Siena at Niagara (8 PM, ESPN2)
With six games left in the regular season this is a big weekend for the NEC with spots three through ten separated by just two games. Robert Morris and Quinnipiac look to be the class of the NEC while Wagner and Bryant have an uphill climb to say the least in regards to simply making the tournament. The most important game on Thursday's schedule: Mount St. Mary's visiting Monmouth with both things in the thick of the NEC race for at the least a spot in the NEC Tournament.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1