5 Observations from Butler-UAB
1) Mack Attack: After digging an 11-point deficit going into halftime, Butler needed a spark. They got it from Shelvin Mack who hit five 3-points in a seven-minute span. The 8,141 fans at Hinkle were at their loudest after Mack hit two 3-pointers in five seconds to give Butler the lead.
2) Sloppy Play: The Bulldogs committed an uncharacteristic 19 turnovers, many of which helped UAB cut Butler's 10-point second-half lead to one.
3) Resiliency: As we’ve seen numerous times this season, most notably at Ohio St., the young Bulldogs are not fazed by double-digit deficits. It took just five minutes for the Bulldogs to erase UAB’s 11-point half-time lead.
4) He’s Got Game: Robert Vaden is the real deal. Butler hounded Vaden all night on defense, but the Indianapolis-native still managed 23 points including a number of NBA-range 3-pointers.
5) Wear ‘em Down: In our game preview, we predicted UAB’s undermanned team would wear down in the second half, and that’s exactly what happened. Playing with essentially a six-man rotation, the Blazers looked sluggish on both sides of the ball during Butler’s second-half comeback.
Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the game? Are the Bulldogs ready for Horizon League play?
Tim Kemper--Butler UGroup Manager
Butler alumnus who loves to read and write about the Bulldogs. My greatest accomplishment is shooting a half-court shot during a Butler game...and missing.